Tuesday, September 24, 2013

We wish you a merry Christmas-even-though-it's-just-barely-autumn!

Autumn officially began roughly two days ago. So what does that mean? Christmas commercials, of course! I have thus far seen two Christmas commercials since autumn began. Move aside, Halloween. Forget you, Thanksgiving. It's time for Christmas.

Christmas is my favorite holiday. So, you'd think I would be all for these premature Christmas commercials. In a way, I am. But, in part because Halloween is my second favorite holiday, I don't want to see the autumn festivities just thrown to the wayside. I believe in giving each holiday it's due attention. As I just said, I am quite fond of Halloween, so I certainly don't want to see it just waved aside like a pesky fly. As for Thanksgiving, although I don't mean to sound harsh, the truth is that I find it to be a somewhat boring holiday. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate the meaning behind Thanksgiving, and I am certainly fond of all the food (pumpkin pie, anyone?), but it's simply not my favorite holiday. Yet, I don't want to see Thanksgiving just lost in the shuffle.

I guess the point I'm making is that while I am beginning to grow anxious for winter (Christmas, the snow, all that jazz), I think we should first pay our respects to Halloween and Thanksgiving and everything else autumnal.

No comments:

Post a Comment