Sunday, September 22, 2013

Leaves become most beautiful when they're about to die.

Today is the first day of autumn. I, for one, am thrilled with that. As I have mentioned before, autumn is high (if not first) on my list of favorite seasons, as I am quite fond of the not-too-hot-not-too-cold weather, the wonderfully spooky holiday of Halloween, the pumpkin pies. But this particular post will not focus on those particular details of autumn. So, let me get on with my true purpose of this post.

One of the greatest things about autumn is the beautiful scenery it has to offer. I'm sure everyone can guess what I mean by that. The foliage. The beautiful leaves of all shades of red, orange, yellow. A number of trees near my home have already begun to change color, and I can't wait to see them in their full glory. But when I see those changing leaves, I can't help but ponder the true meaning of their rich colors. Those red, orange, and yellow hues are an epitome of beauty. And they are also a telltale sign that those leaves are in the throes of death.

Leaves become most beautiful when they're about to die. That there sentence is actually a line from a song, and that song is Regina Spektor's "Time Is All Around".  The mellifluous manner in which Regina Spektor sings that particular line makes the truth behind it all the more beautifully haunting, or hauntingly beautiful. I rather like how she uses one of the greatest aspects of autumn to make a very profound point. Autumnal colors are indubitably beautiful, even though they are a sign that those leaves are in fact dying. Death is indeed a fact of life, but leave it to the season of autumn to display that death need not always be viewed as ugly and grim.

No comments:

Post a Comment