Monday, September 16, 2013

Pride comes before a fall.

I think the title of this post may actually be a bit backwards. Maybe. I'm not entirely sure. So I'll just get to my point, and then you can be the judge.

I want to relay something rather disturbing that I recently witnessed. I was driving home from work when, pulling up to an intersection, I watched as a car collided with a teenage boy riding a bicycle. Let me just clarify that, as far as I know, the boy who was riding the bike is fine. In fact, he quite literally walked it off. And that's more or less the point of my post. The boy was hit by a car, he and his bike flew into the air, over the vehicle, onto its hood, and down to the road. Yet, as witnesses rushed to the scene and queried the boy as to his well-being, he simply stood up and waved the Good Samaritans away. And the way he did this was so cool, almost cold. He pushed himself up off the pavement, picked up his thoroughly contorted bicycle, and limped away, clearly embarrassed and agitated. It was honestly perturbing to see how bothered the boy was, not only by the accident itself but by the help he was being offered.

So that's why I say that I think the title to this post might be a tad bit backwards. In this case, the boy fell and was thereafter too prideful to accept the care and concern of those around him. So, sure, pride can definitely come before a fall. But, it can also come after a fall. And sometimes that's just as bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment